Phoenix College is one of the first community colleges in the U.S. to have a stand-alone Certificate Program in Creative Writing. Students apply to the track with a portfolio. Those accepted follow a flexible program of 24 credits to reach the Certificate of Completion in Creative Writing. The program is appropriate for those who need or want an academic credential in this field and for those who seek to enrich their writing skills while working within a community of talented, dedicated writers.
To apply to the Creative Writing Certificate Track:
1) Contact the Certificate Program Coordinator, Eric Berge. (602) 285-7348.
2) Submit a portfolio (typed, prose double-spaced) that includes:
- 12-15 manuscript pages of original work representing at least two different genres (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, or script). Submit three copies of the manuscript. Title individual pieces and number the pages.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, employer, or someone who is familiar with your writing.
- A one-page letter of intent describing your reasons for applying, your experience, and your goals as a writer.
- A cover sheet that includes your name, address, phone, email, and the titles of the creative work included in the portfolio.